Monday, February 15, 2010

Grass Fed and Finished Pasture Raised Gal!

I am a junk food junkie. I love food and I love to eat. I talk, think, obsess, plan, & dream about food. I like to cook it, go out to eat it and have my wonderful chef boyfriend cook it for me. With that being said; it is hard for me to admit that until yesterday I honestly wasn't aware of the atrocities that are happening in America's food industry. I had a very dear friend try to explain it to me for almost two years but I didn't get it. I would like to think that I am a relatively well educated person but in respect to industrialized mass production farming I am the town idiot! I really thought that there were actual regulatory agencies to protect us from diseases and bad working conditions! I read the Jungle when I was in high school and I was horrified but I was able to tell myself that those things happened a LONG time ago, well I was wrong. Anyway if you stumble across my blog and you aren't aware that we should all be very upset about the way that meat (beef, pork and chicken) is being raised, slaughtered and processed please watch the movie Food Inc or visit their website www.foodincmovie.com

I am not a nutritionist or an investigative reporter. I am just a girl that is horrified about what I have been putting in my body for the past 28 years and I would like to make a conscious effort to change that. I hope to chronicle, in this blog, my journey from being an ignorant eater to a conscious consumer. I am going to support organic, locally grown (when I can- its COLD in Indiana at this time of year) produce. And I am going to buy grass fed and finished beef, and pasture raised chicken and pork. I also hope to not purchase food with a ton of preservatives in it. I recently read that the author Michael Pollan said don't eat anything that doesn't rot. Also I am going to give up diet coke, which is honestly painful for me to even think about because I am addicted.

In the weeks to follow I hope to tell you about how I feel once I am not pumping hormones and antibiotics into my body. My struggles with dining out and eating with my family. And the adventure of trying to buy things that are actually good for you! It is not going to be easy because the food industry has apparently worked very hard to make it almost impossible for Americans to eat well and feel good. I hope that this chronicle will end up looking Bridget Jones-esque with a little Eat, Pray, Love thrown in. :)

1 comment:

◇░Team Leader░◇ said...

Great thoughts to share so other people who dont get it might consider what they are doing to themselves and the rest of the planet. We ourselves produce small scale sustainable agriculture products, mostly as pastured poultry and pastured eggs... People have no idea the effort that goes into providing them with so much healthier food... they are in love with CHEAP food. We just looked at our costs from last year and figured out that we worked for about only 15 cents an hour to provide the highest quality chicken for $3 per pound. This is why people who are doing this for others have to charge so much. They cant compete against HUGE massive factory agriculture corporations... we have people complain to us and say that we should be CHEAPER than supermarkets. It can NOT be done. You truly DO get what you pay for when it comes to food. You just have to know what to ask for. The term "PASTURED" is key because other phrases such as organic or free range may sound good on the surface but do not guarantee a humane life for the animals... it is a complex area and people need to learn about their food supply. Thanks for a beautiful life and trying to get the ball started... hope others are encouraged by your efforts... if you would like to learn more, go to www.absolutepasturedpoultry.com to learn more about what we do...